Thursday 23 May 2013

Guantanamo Prison Hunger Strike Puts The Eyes Of The World On Us (VIDEO)

Worldwide protests are taking place this weekend as May 18 marks the 100th day of the Guantanamo hunger strike. 


 The U.S. Guantanamo prison was established by the Bush administration in 2002.

Of the 166 detainees, over 100 are refusing to eat as a form of protest. Some simply want die. 

RT reports, the weakened state of the inmates has led to the authorities force-feeding them through nasal tubes – a practice which was condemned by the U.N.’s human rights office and has been declared a form of torture.

One Guantanamo Bay prisoner, Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel, who has been detained since 2002, submitted a story to the New York Times, via his attorney and an Arabic translator. Moqbel who is on hunger strike, spoke about the forced feeding: “I will never forget the first time they passed the feeding tube up my nose. I can’t describe how painful it is to be force-fed this way. 

As it was thrust in, it made me feel like throwing up. I wanted to vomit, but I couldn’t. There was agony in my chest, throat and stomach. I had never experienced such pain before. I would not wish this cruel punishment upon anyone.” Another detainee said as soon as the tube hits his throat, tears come streaming down from the pain.

No comments: